A colorless liquid. Denser than water. Contact may slightly irritate skin, eyes and mucous membranes. May be slightly toxic by ingestion. Used to make other chemicals.
Air & Water Reactions
Slightly soluble in water.
Diethylene glycol is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents. Diethylene glycol is also incompatible with strong bases. Diethylene glycol can react with sulfuric acid and other dehydrating agents, nitric acid, oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, perchloric acid and strong acids. Mixtures with sodium hydroxide decompose exothermically when heated to 446° F.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause degeneration of kidney and liver and cause death. Liquid may cause slight skin irritation.
Diethylene glycol is combustible.
Diethylene glycol Preparation Products And Raw materials